Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My First Experience With Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: Lesson Learned

Of  course I forgot to take a picture of the lower cabinets before I started, but this is what they look like.
All I've heard about is how fabulous Annie Sloan chalk paint is! Well, after my first project (and it was a biggie) I can honestly say that I am not impressed...at all. I've upcycled many pieces, I've painted numerous things, including a fridge, and I've used anywhere from acrylic to latex to spray paint. I've pretty much loved every result. Not so much with ASCP.

First off, I had to travel to Fargo to get the stuff. The lady at the store was very friendly and helpful but she did assure me it was not returnable! I explained how I wanted white cabinets. They have sleek fronts, so I didn't want an antique look (which usually works better with some sort of groove in the cabinetry for the darker stain to sit), but rather more of a clean modern look. She suggested a cream color, but again, I didn't want them to look too 'country' and I needed some contrast from my butcher block counters.

I was told that I didn't have to sand them at all, and from what I have been reading from others, this is the case. I was told to use their special brush. Normally, I would apt for a small foam roller to avoid brush strokes, but she said that I didn't need a roller and found the brush I needed.

I purchased two small pints of white, a clear wax and one brush. $200. Ouch! But I thought, well, it's worth it to avoid the hassle.

After the first try, I should have just given up, but I knew it was such a pain to wait until I went back to Fargo and she also said I couldn't return it anyway. (even though the paint did not do what was promised)

First off, the texture seemed too thick and was clumping and dragging. The brush strokes were awful. So, I tried to thin it. I also added water to the brush. This helped, but I knew it would take at least another coat. So, I went back to 'normal' consistency. It took three coats!! And it probably could have used a couple more. Not only was it not covering properly, but I had brown stains bleeding through.(and yes, I cleaned them beforehand) At this point, I thought, well maybe the clear wax will help.

I applied the clear wax after I roughed up the edges. At this point, I figured the only thing I could do was to distress them to try and make this work. (so much for not having antique looking cabinets) I planned on keeping my old cabinet handles, which are a copper color, so by distressing the edges it at least pulled the whole look together a little more.

At least now my copper-ish hardware shows up better.
Here is what the edges look like after sanding them. Even though I didn't want a distressed look, it actually does look better with the hardware this way.

After applying the wax, it seemed to show through even more AND it seemed to make the stains appear even more so. UGH!!

Here is a good example of how different it looks where wax was applied. (ignore the trim piece)

 
Originally, I had intended on painting the bottom cabinets white and the top cabinets a darker color so my exposed white dishes would pop. At this point, I'm just too tired to even care anymore. I have streak-filled bottom cabinets that basically look dirty up close and I have no idea what I will do with the top cabinets. Dad said, "You should have just primed them and stuck with Sherwin Williams cabinet paint." Yes, dad...lesson learned.

Overall, at least things are a bit brighter in my kitchen...just don't look too close!






No comments: